Becoming an Accredited Landlord

We are only looking to work with reputable landlords and as such will provide an accredited

standard landlords must meet.

Key standards to be met:

  • Where a property is mortgaged, the landlord has the right to rent the property.
  • The landlord has the correct insurance.
  • The property is habitable and to a modern standard
  • All required certification / licensing is supplied
  • Furnishings are in safe working order
  • The property has the correct safety measures in place

To book an appointment for your property, or request a Landlord Application Pack, please contact us at the office.


When you have booked an Appraisal our Property Manager will conduct the following:

  • Landlord Information Form
  • Property Information Form
  • Landlord Guide
  • Agency Agreement
  • Answer any questions you may have about our service

Once you are satisfied and wish to instruct us as your Full Management agent, we will take pictures and collect the required information for marketing purposes.

House Insurance

It is entirely your responsibility to ensure the property is insured at all times. UPSU has a great relationship with Endsleigh Insurance and our accredited landlords can benefit from their enhanced insurance package at a discounted rate. You will have the option to be contacted by Endsleigh in the Agency Agreement.


All contents must comply with the Furniture & Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations and the Electrical Safety Regulations.

Our advice is a furnished property should include:

Lounge                 | Sofa(s), Coffee Table

Kitchen                | Cooking Appliances, Fridge Freezer, Washing Machine

Bedroom             | Bed, Wardrobe, Chest of Drawers, Bedside Table, Desk with Chair

Rooms should have curtains or blinds and the appropriate standard of lighting.

Safety Regulations & Obligations

Gas Safety

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

A 12 monthly Gas Safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance with a record provided to the tenant within 28 days of the check taking place or when a new tenant moves into the property.

A landlord must keep a record of Gas Safety checks for a minimum of two years.

Gas Safety checks must only be carried out by Gas Safety registered engineers.

Electrical Safety

A landlord is not legally obliged to get an installation inspected and tested on a periodic basis.


As part of our commitment to housing standards to our students, we enforce all rental properties have a periodic inspection every 12 months by a qualified electrician who will provide you with an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) detailing any damage, deterioration, defects or conditions within the installation that give rise, or potentially give rise, to danger.

At the time of inspection the qualified electrician should also perform Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) on each electrical appliance you have provided.

Fire Safety & Smoker Alarms

Your property should be adequately protected in the event of a fire. Further information on standards to be met can be obtained from the Plymouth City Council Private Rented Division.

Contact 01752 668000 or visit the Civic Centre, Plymouth.

Energy Performance Certificates

From 1st October 2008, an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is require for all properties rented as a whole. An EPC is NOT required when a tenancy agreement is to occupy only Part of the whole property, for example, you do not require an EPC when renting a property as individual rooms on individual tenancy agreements, you do require and an EPC when renting the whole household on a single tenancy agreement.

An EPC is valid for 10 years and must be produced to all new tenants.

We will not advertise property without an EPC where one is required.

Accommodation:Quick Search

Enquire Now?